Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Crock pot chili

I am going to post this the "old school" way, because I was not able to find this on-line.
This is my recipe to encourage Andrea to try her crock pot again. It is yummy and easy, which are two things that I enjoy. It is from "Fix it and Forget it" ~ one of the wonderful wedding gifts that has been collecting dust on the shelf. I love the name:

Colleen's Favorite Chili

2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained (I have also used ground turkey, works well too)
2 garlic cloves, minced fine, or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 cup finely diced green peppers
2 14 1/2 oz. cans diced tomatoes
3 15 oz. cans (approx.) beans - kidney and pinto (I usually do two kidney and one pinto)
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. beaumonde spice, optional
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp., or more, chili powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 Tbsp. brown sugar

1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours, or High 5-6 hours

What is great - cook the meat and chop the onions and peppers the night before - then it is REALLY easy to put it in the crock pot before heading to work!

I make cornbread to go with it - oh, my, goodness!!:)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Welcome RaChelle! This recipe sounds great! I need to pull my cockpot down from the top shelf of my closet. :)

Amanda said...

I added the tag of "soup/chili/stew" to your post, so we can catalog other recipes that are similar.

Andrea said...

thank you! will make it next week! isn't this fun?

Missy Small said...

CROCKPOTS ARE AWESOME! We own three. Jason thinks we need a special counter with various sizes of crockpots build into it like a buffet. I think he's crazy, but I do love crockpots. Which is why I am posting my lentil soup recipe right now...