Monday, March 17, 2008

To balance the cake...bran muffins!

About a month ago I purchased "Super Foods RX." I have really enjoyed trying to implement the super foods. I have always told Andrea that I am looking for a good breakfast "cookie" - well this bran muffin comes pretty close (I don't have time to eat breakfast at home so I always need something that I can take "to go"). I make two dozen and then freeze them in batches of six - works great! I hope someone tries them and actually likes them :).

PS: Love all the new recipes - can't wait to go grocery shopping!

Orange Bran Flax Muffins
Yields 24 muffins

1 1/2 cups oat bran
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup ground flaxseed
1 cup natural bran
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 oranges, washed, quartered, and seeded
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 canola oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups raisins (can substituted white chocolate chips)

In a large bowl combine the oat bran, flour, flaxseed, natural bran, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a blender or food processor, combine the oranges, brown sugar, buttermilk, canola oil, eggs and baking soda. Blend well. Pour the orange mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix until well blended. Stir in the raisins. Fill paper lined muffin tins almost to the top. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool in tins 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

2 comments:

eleanor said...

I was wishing for bran muffins this morning and then sat down at the computer and up pops your recipe! I am excited to try them!
Adrielle

Adrielle said...

I just pulled a batch of these out of the oven and Wow are they yummy!!!!! I highly recommend them!
I did cheat on a couple things though: I cut the recipe in half but still put in the full 3/4 c. brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I am sure they would be great anyway though! Also, the next time I make them I will add a grated carrot. (2 grated carrots for a full batch)
Thanks for the great recipe! Adrielle