Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Grandma Bennett's Sugar Cookies

For Andrea. And anyone else who likes amazing cookies.

Cream together:
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
Beat in:
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
Sift and mix in:
1/2 t. salt
4 T. baking powder
3 c flour

Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut into circles or shapes (or roll dough into balls and press flat).
Bake 12 minutes at 375 F.
To make them pretty, sprinkle sugar on top before baking.

I have a note here that says "greased/floured?", which I can only assume means that I did not get that tidbit of info from Professor Bennett. Amanda, help?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I checked my recipe and I couldn't find anything about greased or floured, but you could do that to the baking sheet to avoid the cookies sticking.

Also, a few other differences between my recipe and your recipe; probably since I got my recipe from Al Bennett and you got it from Gaymon Bennett: I chill the dough for approx. one hour prior to rolling them out.

I also bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes for a softer cookie.

Truly, this is the BEST sugar cookie recipe my family has ever tried and ONLY use it now.

Missy Small said...

ooo, i like the 8-10 minutes, and other sugar cookie recipes i have say to chill the dough, so that's a good tip! yum...

Andrea said...

THANK YOU BOTH! I am so excited to make these again.

We had a thanksgiving potluck here at work and I am still STUFFED four hours later...but I am sure cookies will sound good tomorrow :)

RaChelle and Paul said...

I've NEVER MADE SUGAR COOKIES - isn't this just fabulous and now I have an amazing recipe.
Andrea, not to top your Thanksgiving potluck, but we had "turkey lunch" at school today - seriously, it is a BIG deal - they give us 10 minutes longer for lunch just so everyone gets their food and is able to eat it. Yeah for the one school lunch I eat a year!:)