Thursday, November 1, 2007

Johnson Family Lentil Soup

Okay, before I get going I hope that everyone is planning to comment on the recipes when they try them--good, bad, indifferent. Now for the recipe...

My dad and I agree that this soup is actually better left over, which is saying a lot, since it's really darn good fresh from the crockpot. I had the leftovers for lunch today, and they were so yummy...

I seem to remember that there are a few folks on this list who don't like tomatoes (you are crazy), and the soup is delish without it, but I think it is a great addition. Also, I probably put in twice the required garlic, which is NOT how my mom made it when I was growing up. It is (prepare for sacrilege) better. Note: I will NOT post a picture, because lentil soup looks gross. But it tastes so good. I could put a picture of my empty bowl, if you'd like.

Lentil Soup, courtesy of my mom:
1 cup lentils
5 cups water
½ lb ground beef, browned
½ c chopped onion
1 t chopped garlic
1 T salt
1/16 t pepper
½ bay leaf
Optional: one chopped tomato

Put all ingredients in a crockpot, stir, and set on low for 4-8 hours.

Like RaChelle, I cook and chop the night before, then stick it in the crockpot in the morning and let it cook all day long. At times it has gone 10-11 hours and is still really good, but if you like your soup more soupy than stewy, I'd add an extra 1/2-1 cup of water if you know it will be in the pot for a long time. As it ages it thickens, too, so keep that in mind. Unless you are married to someone who likes this soup as much as Jason and I do, it should last you for a few meals. Otherwise you may fight over the leftovers, so be prepared...

2 comments:

Andrea said...

can't wait to make this.

RaChelle and Paul said...

Yes, yes, yes. Can I just say that gone are the days of "what should I make for dinner tonight?" Foodie Friends has solved all of our food "problems" - not assuming that any of you had problems.
Now if we could just do this with our clothes closets!!